Total Pageviews

Friday, October 21, 2011

A hint of things to come




This photo of Ted and me was taken in autumn 1958. The location was in Milan, Quebec, at my uncle's former fox ranch which my grandfather was dismantling.

On that particular morning Ted and I were carefully choosing the pieces of wood which we were busily loading into a wheelbarrow... made of wood of course.

Wood was an important part of our lives and was constantly around; indoors and out. Not surprising though because firewood was the only fuel used to heat Grandpa's house and to cook with.

As autumn 1958 progressed, my grandfather would move that pile of firewood in the background the quarter-mile from the fox ranch to the wood-shed behind the house. He would use only a wheelbarrow, but not the one shown.




This second scene, quite a few Septembers later, was captured in 2010 at a location in New Hampshire. Maybe a few things don't change too much over the years. 

While just as carefully selecting choice pieces of wood to bring home, I really did feel like a child in a candy store with only a dime to spend and hundreds to choose from.


The Oddblock Station Agent

No comments:

Post a Comment