Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A few Words Spoken at David & Winnie’s Wedding

Thank you for joining with us in our celebration of David and Winnie’s wedding.

Let me start by asking you a question.

How many of you have call display on your telephones at home?

We’ve had call display for quite a few years, and it was quite a few years ago that the name “B Chung” started showing up on the call display and in the call history. Finally I asked Kie, “Who is B Chung?”

“That’s Winnie.”

“Who’s Winnie?”

“Someone David knows at school.”

And for a long time, that’s all I knew…Winnie was someone David knew at school…but I kept seeing B Chung on the call display.

In time, David did introduce Winnie to Kie and me, and soon after, Winnie became a regular visitor in our home.

When boyfriend-girlfriend relationships flourish, as parents, it is quite likely you will eventually meet the parents of your son’s girlfriend, or your daughter’s boyfriend, as the case may be.

In July 2002, David had surgery on the lower end of his back and he spent a week in the hospital. Early in the morning of the day following surgery, Kie and I picked up Winnie and went to the hospital. That Saturday was a difficult day for all of us. Late in the evening I returned and was surprised to find Winnie still at the hospital. During David’s stay in the hospital, Winnie spent most of her time there…and I began to wonder what Winnie’s parents thought about all the time she was spending there.

We didn’t have to wonder very long because Kie and I met Winnie’s parents for the first time at the hospital. I was expecting Winnie’s father to complain to me about all the many hours Winnie was spending at the hospital…but Winnie’s father had only come to visit David.

A while later, Winnie’s mother came to the hospital, and I was wondering if Winnie’s mother was going to say something about the hours Winnie was spending at the hospital…but Winnie’s mother had only came to visit David.

I was truly surprised but I was also moved to see that Winnie’s parents cared enough to visit David, because I had wondered what Winnie’s parents thought about David and Winnie’s relationship.

Let me share with you what my thoughts were about their relationship, and what I wrote in my prayer journal that same weekend.

“What surprised me most out of this entire ordeal was Winnie. I was very surprised that she spent so many hours at the hospital with David and Kie…perhaps even more hours than I was there. I do not know what future God has planned for David and Winnie – they are both too young to think about a permanent relationship – but I cannot think of anyone who would be better suited for David – and I am certain Kie would feel the same way.  Anyway, only God knows the future for these two young people, and I truly hope that they may have a future together.” 
(Sunday morning, July 28 2002)

Kie and I, and others present here today, have also been praying for you two for a long time. We are grateful to see this day come.

These words are for Winnie.

The Bible tells us, “The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.” (Proverbs 31:11)

Winnie, David is a person who does not easily trust people. Maybe you know this already, therefore, be a wife who will earn and keep the trust of David’s heart.

These words are for David.

The Bible says, “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” (Ephesians 5:25)

David, a certain time will come, and you’ll know when it comes, and when it does, get off the internet, turn off the computer, put away all the other distractions and then listen to Winnie when she wants and demands your attention.

These words are for both of you.

Another verse in the Bible tells us, “There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning; but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to the speaker and the speaker to me.” (I Corinthians 14:10-11)

You do not have to speak different languages to be foreigners to each other. Learn to listen to each other more attentively. Learn to understand what each of you is really saying to the other. Learn to be an inseparable part of each other for the rest of your lives.

David & Winnie, may the Lord God of Israel bless your marriage from this day to the end of your lives.

May 17, 2008


Winnie and David just married...about 5 minutes earlier
David's parents celebrating
Kimberly at wedding reception

David and Winnie visiting the highlands of Scotland




 The Oddblock Station Agent 
(David's Father)


No comments:

Post a Comment