Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2011

The Art of Modern Communication

Even though we are sitting face to face across the table, I can no longer have a sensible conversation with you. You are too busy being interrupted by that device you are holding to read incoming text messages and using to send out immediate replies to someone else somewhere else. That other person is probably just as busy doing the same thing.
 
Later on, don’t ask me to text you to set up another time to get together so we can catch up with what has been going on in our lives. Catching up is what we were supposed to be doing right now. Anyway, I don’t have one of those devices so I’m out of the loop.

You don’t care anyway because you weren’t really listening right now while I said all this out loud to you. Yes, you did politely mumble something nonsensical as a response, which I really should accept as acknowledgement that you heard me say something, but you are too busy trying to communicate with everyone everywhere else that you have forgotten how to communicate to the person sitting across from you.

Hello! Would it be possible for you to turn off and put away that device for the short time we are together at present?

Never mind! Please don’t waste any more of my time. I truly don’t need to sit here and watch you push buttons.

The sad part is that you didn’t notice when I got up and left a few minutes ago. I’m sorry I didn’t say anything but you did seem rather busy communicating and I didn’t want to disturb you.



The Oddblock Station Agent


Addendum August 26, 2014

The following illustration was too good to pass up. Thanks Willy.






No comments:

Post a Comment