Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Day My Life Changed Forever


Thirty-three years ago this date, on Tuesday, January 15, 1980, my life changed forever.

On that particular evening I arrived in Jakarta, Indonesia, and met Kie for the very first time. My life has never been the same since, and for that change I am truly grateful.

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favour from the Lord." (Proverbs 18:22)

"And they called Rebekah, and said to her, "Will you go with this man?" She said, "I will go." (Genesis 24:58)

For those of you who are not familiar with Rebekah, she agreed to travel to a distant land to marry Isaac, a man she had never seen or met. If you do not believe that love stories like this do not happen today, then I am here today to tell you from first-hand experience that they do.

In November 1978, Kie made that very same promise and commitment to me; to marry me and go with me to a distant land, a man she had never seen or met until this day 33 years ago.

If I was a singer or if I was just plain able to sing, then today I would sing for Kie this particular and familiar love song titled, "Sometimes When We Touch" written by Dan Hill.

Instead, I share the words here.


You ask me if I love you
And I choke on my reply
I'd rather hurt you honestly
Than mislead you with a lie
And who am I to judge you
On what you say or do?
I'm only just beginning to see the real you



And sometimes when we touch 
The honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide
I wanna hold you til I die
Til we both break down and cry
I wanna hold you till the fear in me subsides



Romance and all its strategy
Leaves me battling with my pride
But through the insecurity
Some tenderness survives 
I'm just another writer
Still trapped within my truth
A hesitant prize fighter
Still trapped within my youth


And sometimes when we touch
The honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide
I wanna hold you til I die
Til we both break down and cry
I wanna hold you till the fear in me subsides 


At times I'd like to break you
And drive you to your knees
At times I'd like to break through
And hold you endlessly


At times I understand you
And I know how hard you've tried
I've watched while love commands you
And I've watched love pass you by 
At times I think we're drifters
Still searching for a friend
A brother or a sister
But then the passion flares again


And sometimes when we touch
The honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide
I wanna hold you til I die
Til we both break down and cry
I wanna hold you till the fear in me subsides





Kau selalu dalam hatiku karena aku cinta padamu Kie sayang.

As that one certain line in the song reads, "I wanna hold you til I die."


The Oddblock Station Agent


On April 06, 1980, Kie fulfilled her promise and arrived in Canada to stay.

April 07 1980 - Kie at Kitsilano Beach in Vancouver.



Addendum January 15, 2016


A few more years have passed but I have never forgotten.

Departure from Montreal was delayed about 10 hours because of Canadian winter weather so I missed my connecting flight at Vancouver.

After stepping off the Philippines Airlines aircraft in Jakarta that stiflingly hot, humid evening, I was wondering if anyone would be waiting to meet me. I had arrived a day late and on the wrong airline.


Kie outside the post office in Lawang on December 18, 1979. She was wearing the same dress when we met to be certain I would recognize her.
 

Kie on the GO - August 02, 2015.

 In spite of Canadian winters... she stayed!








No comments:

Post a Comment