Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

First Date Souvenir




Jakarta, Indonesia, January 16, 1980

That was the date I picked up this card. Actually I am surprised to discover that 33 years later this card is still in my possession.

The day following my arrival in Jakarta, I visited the Canadian embassy to report my presence in Indonesia. Kie came with me...actually I went with her. Unable to speak Indonesian and having no idea how to safely travel around the city I had to rely on Kie. I was a genuine FOB there.

Following our brief stop at the embassy we went to lunch in a nearby restaurant. Believing that nasi goreng (fried rice) would not be too spicy, I ordered a plate of that. Fired rice was more like it because every bite burned my mouth as I tried to eat. 

The rest of the story is that nasi goreng was the only thing I could understand on the menu. I suppose I could have asked Kie to translate for me but I might have ended up with something even more spicy which would have been more to her taste.

Anyway, that day trip around Jakarta was the first time Kie and I did anything together and she has always said that was our first date.

I wonder if that restaurant is still around?


The Oddblock Station Agent

No comments:

Post a Comment