Total Pageviews

Friday, January 18, 2013

Adventure of a Lifetime


A true tale of the South Pacific...



The following photographs were taken 33 years ago on January 18, 1980, in Malang, East Java, Indonesia.

The most beautiful woman ever who stepped into my life.
Although Kie and I had been writing to each other for a little more than two years, we only met each other for the very first time on January 15, 1980.

Three days later on the 18th we were married in a civil ceremony as these photos recorded.

Right up until the moment we were declared married, I had been expecting Kie to change her mind about me. She had no such intention but the night before when we were talking alone, she had  wondered if I was going to change my mind about marrying her.

33 years later we are still happily together although we are no longer as young as we used to be. Aging does not matter though; in my eyes Kie will always be the most beautiful woman who stepped into my life and I shall always be grateful.

In looking back over the years, marrying Kie was definitely one of the few things in my life that I can say with certainty that I did right.

"A good wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain." (Proverbs 31: 10-11)

Truer words were never written.


Kie and I moments before entering the room where our lives would change and never be the same, no matter what the outcome would be.

Left to right: The government officer officiating our civil marriage ceremony, Kie's mother, Kie's father, Kie's uncle, me and Kie. The government officer did not speak any English and he insisted that someone translate into English what he was saying. Kie's uncle did the translation for me. The government official wanted to be certain that Kie and I knew what we were doing.

Banging the gavel on the table announced to all present the exact moment that Kie and I were declared married.


Signing the government marriage register in the presence of my new father-in-law, Kie's uncle and of course with my beautiful bride looking on.

Kie signing the government marriage register in the presence of her father and the others present in the room. Kie's uncle was explaining to me that I was now responsible for Kie; the moment we were declared married, Kie's citizenship was removed because she had married a foreigner.
 
Left to right: Kie's maternal grandfather, Kie, me, Kie's father and Kie's mother. Our celebration meal shortly after the civil wedding ceremony. Kie's grandfather had given us his genuine approval of our marriage and he attended our wedding ceremony. Prior to meeting me, he wouldn't agree to our marriage.

This last photo on this posting was taken at Ancol the following week when we were in Jakarta. We visited Ancol for a few hours to escape the oppressive heat of Jakarta. Believe me, going to Ancol was a relief. I thought Jakarta was the hottest and most humid place on the earth.

We spent the following week travelling around Jakarta to attend to the various Canadian Immigration requirements for Kie's application to go to Canada.





The adventure of a lifetime and still living the adventure.

Happy Anniversary cinta-ku!

The Oddblock Station Agent


No comments:

Post a Comment