Total Pageviews

Friday, October 12, 2012

Vancouver, BC. Summer 1975

Why this very poor photo was not thrown away decades ago is a mystery to me, but it remains here today. Shown below is a scene from my life in Vancouver and a record of where I lived in summer 1975. The table and chair comprised half of the furniture I possessed at the time. 




This was the kitchen-dining room area of the third floor, one bedroom apartment that I rented on East Broadway near Fraser. The table served as a desk and it was covered with various items of an esoteric nature; most people would have probably said, "A lot of junk." 

Strange in a way; the appearance of my desk today is almost identical in manner but covered with even more mostly useless stuff.

As I stare at the photo and study the items on the table, I am reminded about my life in July 1975 and struck by how much has changed in the 35 years since. Every item captured in this scene is gone from my life and my possession except for one. 




Beneath the small black and white photo in the folder standing on the table, there was a card with a Bible verse, which reads, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee: yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” (Isaiah 41:10) 

The other side of the card is a 1974 calendar. I still have that card in my Bible.

Everything in my life that I thought was important to me in 1975 was taken away, including the relationship with the young lady in that black and white photo. All that remains with me today from 35 years ago is the word of God.

The God of Israel has been my God. He has been with me, He has strengthened me, He has helped me and He has upheld me with the right hand of His righteousness. He has done everything he said He would do.

The Oddblock Station Agent
(Summer 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment