Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Truce Broken and Hostilities Resume!

I'd rather not be reading all about it.

January 19, 2022

About two years ago several foxes moved into my neighbourhood, and as a result soon afterward, those unwanted rodents I hate began disappearing. For the next 18 to 20 months I couldn't even report a single sighting of a rat.

One of the much welcomed members of the peace-keeping team.

Alas, these wonderful peacekeepers pulled out,  and soon afterward, those enemy infiltrators started making occasional appearances.

And now...

 

Blizzard warnings lifted after major snowfall hits southern Ontario

This was one of the many news headlines from this past Monday, the 17th, which attest to the 12 to 15 inches of snow received. 

Now I understand what Charlie meant
Of course Tuesday meant a major snow clearing at home, (as well as everywhere else) and while doing this task I made an unwanted discovery... fresh rat tracks on top of the new fallen snow. Worse, their tracks were present and numerous around every basement window my home has. 

No doubt those hated pests have been home-hunting... and they ain't going to move inside here!!

After all the snow clearing was done, I dug out all my rat traps from my shed, baited them, and then set them out on those rat trails trails near my windows.

This morning I took a quick peek out the front door to check the one trap I could see without having to step outside, and sure enough that trap had been triggered... but alas, no victim. 

After my morning coffee I headed outside to reset the tripped trap and check the others... and I was pleasantly surprised.

Strike One! This casualty was found outside my back basement window.

Strike Two! This dead pest was captured outside my front basement window.

I'll make no apologies whatsoever for fighting back, and if these unwanted detested critters insist upon trespassing around here, then they'll do so at their own peril.

Like I said... they ain't moving indoors here!

So stay tuned to this station.


The Oddblock Station Agent


News Bulletin

War is hell and blood has been spilled. 

(The following image and narrative may be troubling and/or disconcerting to some readers, so be fore-warned.)

Less than two hours after the first enemy casualties were confirmed and recorded another unwanted trespass and skirmish ensued.

After cleaning and resetting my traps around 07:45, I went out just after 10;15 to clear more snow. Monday two days ago we received upwards of 12 to 14 inches of snow in about 12 hours. Anyway and right away, this scene of bloodied snow caught my attention. 

Believe me red on fresh white snow is hard to miss.

My first thought was that a welcomed predator (also an ally) had discovered the trapped rat and finished it off. A lack of confirming footprints in the fresh snow confirmed this wasn't the case.

Shades of Jack Reacher, Batman!!!

(I watched that movie last night for the first time ever.)

The rat had been snagged by the leg and the varmint chewed through it's entire leg to escape. Yeah... and I confirm that's what went down, because when I was washing out the trap to reset it,  I discovered the rat's foot. After making this gruesome discovery I went and dug out a few cubic yards of snow hoping to find the rat and put it out of its misery, but no success.

Like I've said, I'll make no apologies whatsoever for fighting back... cause they ain't moving indoors here!

By the way... how did your day go?


Happy Thanksgiving!!

Yes, that's right!

Today, October 10, 2022, is Thanksgiving Day in Canada, and below is the turkey I discovered early this afternoon.

Following a week of squirrel troubles involving the engine of my car, shortly after noon, I made a cursory check under the hood... just to check if there were more sign's of trouble.

I did NOT expect this.

October 10, 2022, a dead rat discovered under the hood of my car.

At first I thought this was more chewed insulation, but the red, not that I wasn't seeing red already, made me take a closer look. A dead rat, and a huge one too.

After taking my photo, I donned a pair of disposable gloves and removed it. The carcass was wedged in there tightly, maybe because the rat was larger than I was expecting, so a fair amount of one-handed tugging was needed to get it out.

I'm not sure if this was the largest rat I've caught, but of not, then it's a close second. That detested thing was more than eight inches long NOT including its tail. I was also wondering whether or not this hated pest would've been too big for a rat trap to snag.

The same dead rat (gory side down) after I extricated it from where it was wedged.

The reason for my wondering is that I have no idea what killed this rodent or caused that gash... which was on the right side of its neck. I've pondering whether or not the is the victim of a turf war with that red squirrel that's been giving me car grief all week. I wish I could enlist whatever killed it.

Regardless, I'm happy this hated enemy soldier is dead.

By the way...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

And no, I'm not being sarcastic, because I'm thankful this rodent is history, and joining a mouse I snagged in my attic first thing this morning.

Do I hate rodents?

Did today follow last night?


The Oddblock Station Agent




 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment