Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 18, 2016

2000 Miles!

Yay !!


If you miss the train I'm on, you will know that I have gone,
You can hear the whistle blow two thousand miles.
 Two thousand miles, two thousand miles, two thousand miles, two thousand miles,
Lord, I've walked two thousand miles on this road.

Two thousand miles, two thousand miles,
Two thousand miles, two thousand miles,
Lord, I've walked two thousand miles on my way.
Two thousand miles, two thousand miles,
Two thousand miles, two thousand miles,
Lord, I've walked two thousand miles on this road.

(With thanks to that Peter Paul and Mary song, 500 Miles)





Today I can boast just a little because this morning I passed the 2000 and 2001 mile boards in my walking journey to nowhere.

Yeah... it's for my thoughts.
To place 2001 miles in the context of a walking journey across Canada that started from the corner Front & Yonge in downtown Toronto, I would now be about 2 miles east of Alderson, Alberta, a tiny location about 35 west of Medicine Hat.

To be honest, I was never certain I would reach 1000 miles and was often less certain I could pass 2000 miles.

My goal now is to reach Vancouver by the end of 2017.

This stated, my immediate thoughts are just about being able to go out again this evening and walk another mile, and be just as grateful to God to be able to accomplish this much today. 


A Nickel's Worth of Hope
This other coin on the left is for another journey detailed in a book I read quite a while ago.

"A Nickel's Worth of Hope"

An amazing true story of one man's journey; hitch-hiking from Holland to South Africa shortly after the end of World War II. 

Each person's journey through life if different, leading over different trails to different places and into different events.


Enjoy your journey while you are on it! 
 And don't rush just to get there!


Deo Gratia
The Oddblock Station Agent



Addendum October 05, 2016

Yesterday morning I passed mile post 2100 in my continuing journey to nowhere, but if I was heading west, then according to the map I would be about 8 miles west of Gleichen, Alberta.



I wonder; when shall I be able to catch a first glimpse of Calgary's skyline in the distance?

Anyway, like that bunny, I'll just keep on going as long as I am able.



Addendum November 08, 2016

This morning as I walked with Kie to the GO Station I quietly passed mile 2200 in my continuing long-distance walk to nowhere. 100 more miles in 35 days!


In my ongoing imaginary journey from Front & Yonge, mile 2200 would now place me about 50 miles west of Calgary and parallelling the historical Canadian Pacific Railway, just past Seebe, Alberta, a name on the map.

On this note, yesterday, November 07, 2016, marked 131 years since the ceremonial last spike was driven at Craigellachie, BC., finishing construction of the CPR and Canada's first transcontinental railway.

As I have said all along, I'll just keep on going as long as I am able to.



Addendum January 02, 2017

This morning and without fanfare, I quietly passed the 2300 mile board. I had hoped to reach this distance prior to the end of 2016, however, that did not occur. Regardless, I did log 801.6 recorded miles walked in 2016.




In my ongoing imaginary journey from Front & Yonge, mile 2300 would now place me about 4 miles west of Leanchoil, BC., a location that actually exists and a place I once briefly stopped at while passing through on foot in June 1975.

Michael C. and I were pack-pack hiking from Golden to Field and we stopped to rest and wait for CPR's Train 2, The Canadian, so I could take a picture. The train showed up on time, I got my picture and we then resumed our journey.

Anyway, these days I'll just keep on going as long as I am able to.


Addendum February 24, 2017

Early this morning and without the rain that was forecast, I passed the 2400 mile board.

The railway mileage shown in this table was calculated from Windsor Station in Montreal.

Travel in any form must entail both an origin and a destination; even in walking a loop. 

My location now in that ongoing imaginary journey from Front & Yonge to Vancouver, mile 2400 would now place me about 2 miles east of Three Valley Lake in BC., a location west of Revelstoke that actually exists on a map and in this old CPR train schedule as Three Valley.





No comments:

Post a Comment